Today the monthly card class was held with the theme, “Celebrating Birthdays”. As you can guess from the title, the projects were birthday cards. In addition, several of the cards involved the use of different folds. The feature card today is a crisscross fold pocket card and is the perfect card to use when you want to attach a gift card. I originally saw this card design several years ago on Linda Heller’s Stamping School. Though I had made the card design before it was not made in any of my previous classes. It is a fun card design to use and can be tailored for any occasion. The card uses one 6″ x 12″ piece of Designer Series Paper so you can make two with one sheet of paper quickly. Plus, it’s a great way to use up extra Designer Series Paper that you’ve been hoarding!
For the crisscross birthday card the Sale-a-Bration paper, Botanical Butterfly, was used. This is definitely one of my all time favorite papers. Remember, this designer series paper can be selected FREE with a $50 order until March 31 (or while supplies last). The Amazing Life and Birthday Banners Photopolymer stamp sets combine perfectly for the card sentiments.
- Botanical Butterfly Designer Series Paper: 6″ x 12″, 3/4″ x 9-1/2″ coordinating strip for belly band
- Whisper White Cardstock: 3″ x 2-1/4″ for cake oval; 1-1/2″ x 3″ for banner; 3-3/4″ x 5-1/4″ for interior piece
- Grapefruit Grove Cardstock: 3″ x 2-1/2″ for oval; 1″ x 9-1/2″ for belly band
- Stamp Sets: Amazing Life Photopolymer Stamp Set and Birthday Banners Photopolymer Stamp Set
- Stazon Jet Black Ink
- Grapefruit Grove Classic Stampin’ Pad
- Stampin’ Write Markers: Bashful Blue, Daffodil Delight and Grapefruit Grove
- Bunch of Banners Framelits Dies
- Layering Ovals Framelits
- Stitched Shapes Framelits
- Detailed Trio Punch
- Grapefruit Grove 1/8″ Grosgrain Ribbon: approximately 3″
- Snail Adhesive
- Stampin’ Dimensionals
- Stampin’ Trimmer
- 1/8″ Handheld Punch (optional)
I am providing written instructions but if you prefer a visual, check out Cindy Brumbaugh’s video. Don’t let my written directions scare you – once you make one crisscross pocket card, you’ll see how easy it is!
- Along the 6″ side of the Botanical Butterfly Designer Series Paper, score at 1/2″ the entire length of the paper. NOTE: if the paper has a direction, be sure to score on the side that will be the bottom of the card so that the design direction is correct on the finished card.
- On the 12″ side of the Botanical Butterfly Designer Series Paper, score at 4″ and 8″.
- TIP: Fold along score lines for ease in trimming. To create a center tab that becomes the card pocket, use paper snips to cut on the 4″ and 8″ score line just up to the 1/2″ score line. You will now have three 1/2″ x 4″ sections. Remove the two outer sections by cutting along the 1/2″ score line up to where you snipped earlier. You should have one 1/2″ x 4″ tab located in the center of the designer series paper.
- Next cut the side angles by placing the Designer Series Paper in the Stampin’ Trimmer. Line up on a diagonal from the 4″ score line to the bottom edge (refer to photos below). Repeat on other side.
- Proceed with finishing the pocket by folding the bottom flap up. Apply snail adhesive to the flap back of the flap and fold one of the diagonal sides over the flap pressing to adhere to the adhesive.
- Fold remaining diagonal over creating the “crisscross” and use snail adhesive to adhere to other flap.
- Create the oval sentiment by stamping the cake onto the whisper white cardstock using Stazon Jet Black ink pad. Color as desired with Stampin’ Write Markers. Cut using the Stitched Shapes Framelits. Layer onto an oval of Grapefruit Grove Cardstock cut using the Layering Ovals Framelit.
- Stamp the sentiment for the banner and cut using the coordinating banner from the Bunches of Banners Framelits.
- Wrap the 1″ x 9-1/2″ strip of Grapefruit Grove around the card so that it meets in the front. Layer and attach the coordinating strip of Designer Series Paper to the belly band.
- Attach the oval to the belly band and finish by placing the banner across the cake as shown in the card photo.
- Stamp sentiment on card with the Stazon Jet Black ink.
- Round corners of the card using the Detailed Trio Punch.
- Use the 1/8″ handheld punch to create a hole in the top center (or use the oblong circle on the Detailed Trio Punch).
- Add ribbon to create the pull tab.
Have fun creating your own crisscross designs!
Be sure to check back on Wednesday. I’ll be sharing more cards from the Celebrating Birthdays class, as well as, showing you what other fun we enjoyed!
Order your Project Materials here: