In today’s post, I am featuring cards highlighting two methods for coloring Designer Series Paper. For one of the cards in the July “to go” card class, participants were able to color the background of the Peony Garden Designer Series Paper. The Peony Garden Designer Series Paper provides perfect designs to color. For coloring the designer series paper, Stampin’ Blends Markers and Watercolor Pencils can be used. To ensure a fair comparison of the two methods, Calypso Coral and Granny Apple Green have been chosen. On both cards, the peony flowers become the feature on the designer series paper by coloring the background and the leaves.
The first card features the Calypso Coral Light and Granny Apple Green Light Stampin’ Blends Markers. The Stampin’ Blends Markers provide a bright background for the peony flowers on the Designer Series Paper.
The card below uses the Calypso Coral and the Granny Apple Green Watercolor Pencils for shading the background and the leaves. Since the designer series paper is not designed to watercolor, no water is used. Instead the watercolor pencils are being used like a coloring pencil.
Notice the background using the Watercolor Pencils provides a more subtle color and areas have shading. This is due to variation in the amount of pressure when coloring with the watercolor pencils. Note: Due to lighting with my photo, the shading is more pronounced than when actually viewing the card.
- Color the leaves first. Once the leaves have color added, it becomes easier to separate the background from the flowers.
- When coloring with the watercolor pencils, use a small circular coloring motion vs straight line coloring. This method provides a smoother appearance.
- Option: Use an eraser and gently erase areas of the watercolor pencil are heaviest. (Personally, I think the variation in shading looks good.)
Hopefully, I have inspired you to try coloring designer series paper. Have fun experimenting with different papers and coloring tools! In addition to coloring the background, you may want to just color specific images. The possibilities are almost endless!
Stampin’ Up! is making it even better to order this month…check out the Bonus Days info below.
To take advantage of Bonus Days, be sure to place your order on or before, August 3, 2020.
Also, the July 3D Tutorial Bundle is still available!
Would you like the July 3D Tutorial Bundle?
You have several ways of receiving the July 3D Tutorial Bundle:
1. Order $50 (before taxes and shipping) from my online store between now and July 31, 2020 and you’ll get the PDF for FREE. Note: be sure to register and allow me to contact you so I receive notice of your order and can send the tutorial.
2. Purchase the July 3D Tutorial Bundle PDF (a total of 6 tutorials) for $15.00. This is a one-time purchase. Simply drop me an email at creativestampingwithMargaret@gmail.com and I will send you a PayPal Invoice. Upon receipt of payment, I will send you the tutorial bundle.
3. Join my Playtime with Paper team! Team members always receive the tutorials for FREE!