Before I share my project using the Best Catch Stamp Set, I want to first check in to see how you’re doing? Have you remained healthy? Are you adjusting to the guidelines for dealing with the pandemic? I hope the answers are positive. For me it’s certainly been an adjustment. My grandson, Alex,has online school and since both parents are still working, I have been helping out as teacher’s aide and staying in Atlanta. Since we’re practicing limited contact, Alex stays with me during the week before going home for the weekend. Then, I head out of Atlanta to our home from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Then back to Atlanta for another week of school. It’s been great bonding time but I do miss be able to go into my craft cave. Plus I miss the monthly card classes and spending time sharing my passion for paper crafting with others. This weekend, I am burying myself in my craft cave and hope to complete additional projects to share with you.
Today’s card a great masculine card featuring the Best Catch Stamp Set and coordinating Catch of the Day Dies. Since my youngest son enjoys fishing, I knew the set would be perfect to create a card for his recent birthday. The High Tide Stamp Set offers the perfect stamp for creating the water and shoreline.
- Card base: Old Olive cardstock 4-1/4″ x 11″, score at 5-1/2″ and fold.
- Second Layer: Crumb Cake cardstock 4″ x 5-1/4″. Texture emboss using the Basket Weave 3D Embossing Folder. Attach to the card base.
- Card front layer: Whisper White cardstock 3-3/4″ x 5″. With the shoreline stamp from the High Tide Stamp Set, stamp along the lower edge of the card using Crumb Cake Classic Stampin’ Pad.
- Next, create the “water” with the High Tide Stamp Set using Seaside Spray Classic Stampin’ Pad. Stamp approximately half way up the card piece. Create the sky by using a sponge dauber to lightly add the Seaside Spray ink to the remainder of the card. Attach to the embossed Crumb Cake layer using a strong adhesive.
- Using the cattails die from Catch of the Day Dies and from Friendly Silhouettes Dies, to cut Whisper White cardstock. (Note: you can cut multiples of cattails from the Catch of the Day if you do not have the Friendly Silhouettes dies). Color the cattails using the light and dark Mossy Meadow blends, the Color Lifter and the Soft Suede Dark Blends. Add to card using mini glue dots.
For the Fish:
On a scrap piece of Whisper White cardstock, stamp the fish using Soft Suede Classic Stampin’ Pad. Color the fish using the following Stampin’ Blends: Mossy Meadow Light, Soft Sea Foam Light, Old Olive Light, Calypso Coral Light. If desired, use the Color Lifter to lighten areas. Lightly wash over the fish with Clear Wink of Stella. Cut the fish using the coordinating Catch of the Day die. Next, add the fish to the card front using Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Stamp sentiment using Old Olive Classic Stampin’ Pad onto a scrap of Whisper White cardstock and cut using the 1-1/2″ circle punch. TIP: look at photo for placement of the sentiment – punch so sentiment is on lower right part of the circle so you have room to add the fishing hat. Add to card using Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Use Soft Suede to stamp the hat outline and color with the Soft Suede Light Blends. After coloring, cut using the coordinating die from Catch of the Day Dies and attach to the sentiment using Mini Glue Dots.
Lastly, don’t forget the envelope! Stamp the fishing basket onto the front with Soft Suede and color using the Soft Suede Light Stampin’ Blends. TIP: to prevent the ink from bleeding through the envelope, insert a piece of scrap paper or post-it note before stamping and coloring.
It was lots of fun creating this card and I have plans to use the Best Catch set again for another male relative.
Be sure to leave me a comment and let me know how you’re coping to the social distancing guidelines. What projects are you working on?
Project Materials: (click on link to order)
The Host Code for April is YKAF2FU2. Please use Host Code only if your order is less than $150. If your order exceeds $150, you will receive the host rewards! Prior to completing your order, you will have the opportunity to enter the code into the blank space labeled Host Code. Thank you!